Wednesday, October 26, 2011

the soup

Do you want to know the best part of my day?

It was this: 3 o'clock in the afternoon, an hour before preschool pickup. The perfect sliver of time to make dinner. But I was so, so cold. And so, so tired. I couldn't imagine making anything that would make anyone happy at dinner. My tank was completely empty.

So I said fuck it and curled up on the couch with a blanket. And Littlest took it upon herself to make "tea" and "soup" in her play kitchen. She poured the tea directly from the teapot to my mouth and fed me the soup with a fork. My feet were still freezing but my heart -- my heart was singing warm.

And then: home again from pickup and looking at the bare stove top. Nope, dinner didn't make itself.

But! There's homemade chicken soup in the freezer!

Talk about an ah-ha moment. So with an assortment of odds and ends that the Little People would eat, there was dinner. Already made.

The husband did the dishes (god, I love him) and I slid away from the chaos, downstairs and to the work waiting for me. And so with a full and warm belly and a full and warm heart, I finished my day.

I think there was something magic in the soup SHE made for me that turned things around.