Monday, January 3, 2011

bouncing off the walls

I'm sitting at my computer. Working. {Trying to work. Supposed to be working.}

But I stare at the wall behind my screen instead. It catches my eye.

Pink and blue play in shifting patterns there, sun reflecting off sequence and beads. A light show in my living room.

Girl-one and girl-two romp just behind my chair. Spinning. Dancing. Rising. Falling. Laughing. Laughing. Laughing. Laughing. Laughing.

I'm wearing headphones to tune them out {they're not on my watch right now} but I can't concentrate.

They are behind me. But in front of me. Bouncing off the walls from every possible angle.

I slip my headphones out of my ears and peek over my shoulder. Girl-two's skirt is only half-stuffed into her dance costume -- it's flipped up to her shoulders. Her ballet slippers are untied. She falls to the floor repeatedly -- I guess it's part of the routine.  Girl-one prances like a spindly-legged fawn on imaginary toe shoes and pretend grace. They are so free it makes me want to cry.

I turn back to the computer even though I don't really want to. Slip my headphones back on so I can concentrate. But the little lights still dance on the wall in front of me. I don't want to put them out.