Monday, October 4, 2010

the point

A la Not Hannah, I think the time is ripe for a summary post. A what-on-earth-am-I-doing-here post. [On the blog, I mean.]

So here it is.  

I began writing The Unwrapping at the beginning of 2010 with the expressed purpose of practicing my writing skills. Unwrapping myself, if you will. Figuring that with a reader or two, I might feel accountable to this space and actually write. Rather than, you know, always intending to write something but never finding the time or the space or the confidence.

Over the year, this blog has become more and more important to  me. I don't present convincing positions or wrenching realities. But I write this life. I write through the lens of metaphor. I cast out my net and try to capture the beauty that flutters through these days, plunge my hands in deep to cup those fragile wings in my palms, and sketch it out in words so I can hold it up for you to see.

And by writing about the poetry seeping through the cracks of life, I find myself seeing it more. Living in it. Gathering it into a pile like so many red and yellow and golden autumn leaves. Rolling around in it, even.

So I want to thank you for coming here. Your presence is what keeps me writing. And I've found that writing, like nothing else, plunks me in the present moment.

Which is right where I need to be.