Wednesday, January 6, 2010

walking

I just have to stop and walk for a second.

Defeated.

The pain -- which was supposed to strengthen -- felt like strangulation. I would run farther, in a moment. But, oh, the bliss of slower steps and even breathing!


***


I'll get off here and walk the rest.

Independent.

The bus could deliver me to the door, but I would walk the last couple miles. I was on my own in the world, finally, putting one foot in front of the other. Even when the snot froze inside my nose.


***

I'm going to take the dog for a walk.

Liberated.


I left behind a pile of dishes, a crying baby, two children bouncing off the walls, and the most supportive husband who ever kicked his wife out the door for some much needed breathing space. I would go back inside after I walked off the day's chaos and regained my sense of self.